"
Newspaper Archive of
San Miguel Basin Forum
Nucla , Colorado
Lyft
June 3, 1999     San Miguel Basin Forum
PAGE 5     (5 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 5     (5 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
June 3, 1999
 

Newspaper Archive of San Miguel Basin Forum produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2022. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




San Miguei Basin Forum, Thursday, June 3, 1999 - 5 by Betty Zatterstrom The oldest church building in use on the Colorado Western Slope is smack-dab in the mid- dle of Nucla - Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church. The church was built in 1887 in Ouray, for the Presbyterians, under the supervision of Rev. George M. Darloy. One year prior to that, Rev. Darley super- .vised the building of a church in Lake City. That building fell into dis-use, disrepair and.. just fell, making the Ouray building the oldest. In about 1883, the Presbyterians sold the building to the Catholics, where is served the Ouray Parish until 1954. In June, 1954, the building was cut into sections and hauled to Nucla and re-assemble where it now stands. Later, Fran Serles built the altar to match the BaPtismal Font. The Altar was dedicated to Lucien McManuss, a stalwart member of Our Lady of Sorrows. On a Sunday in May, 1986, there was an "open house" cele- brating the new altar and stained glass windows. Back in March, 1955, Father Joseph Halloran, of Ouray, held Mass for a large crowd. Some of the early informa- tion was gleaned from Father James J. Gibbons' book, "In the San Juan," as well as old Nucla Forum papers. Our early Priest was Father Ralph Woodward, serving Telluride and Nucla. Competitive Prices Fast Delivery Omce. 29703 awy. 9.70-864-2200 P.O. Box 889 .i) Plant. 9'/0-864-2134 Colorado 81424 / (SAT & SUN BY APPOINTMENT)